Posting Closing Date
June 30, 2024
The analyst will join an experienced and dynamic team that builds and manages exchange traded funds (ETF), mutual funds and institutional mandates. This unique role will work with the portfolio management team to focus on passive equities and the development of the risk-mitigation and automated processes for the entire ETF PM desk. The analyst’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, portfolio management of passive equities, currency hedging, modelling and implementing equity rebalances, product design, and interacting with market participants. In addition to portfolio management responsibilities, the successful candidate will also help enhance internal portfolio management architecture with a focus on mitigating risk and automating processes to allow the ETF business to become more scalable. The successful candidate will start at an analyst level, supporting the portfolio management team and progressively work towards an associate portfolio manager role, pending the quality of work
- Investment Management – Index ETF
- Investment Management – Index ETF and Passive Institutional Strategies
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of a defined set of equity-based ETFs.
- Ensure each ETF tracks their respective index within allocated tolerance.
- Effectively manage time when simultaneously rebalancing a number of portfolios on any given day
- Monitor corporate actions and decide on best course of action.
- Maintain and review equity models and identify opportunities to improve them
- Aid in communicating each investment strategy to sales team and clients
- Assist in the analysis of performance and investment decisions to defend to senior investment committee
- Periodic investment commentaries to support both business development, as well as regulatory requirements
- Trade List Modelling – Equities
- Build a trading strategy for any fund rebalances and portfolio transitions to minimize market impact and tracking
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of marketplace dynamics, including sources of ETF and equity liquidity
- Collaborate with ETF portfolio management team and equity trading desk to effectively plan equity rebalances required
- Currency Hedging – Support the team during monthly hedge roll adjustments.
- Facilitate equity trading across multiple geographical regions
- Work as a team to ensure the accuracy of trade lists and help mitigate any trading errors
- Maintain contacts and working relationships with various broker/dealers
- Continuously improve the operational efficiencies of the PM/Trading process
- Risk Management and Infrastructure Enhancement
- Working with other portfolio managers and associate portfolio managers to enhance internal risk controls on overall PM desk in order to minimize trading and operational risk
- Continuously pursue and identify potential risk within our business and processes
- Automate processes that can result in human error by eliminating manual processes where possible
- Playing a role in being the liaison between ETF PM desk and BMO GAM infrastructure team
- Finding a way to automate many of the manual internal processes allowing the ETF business to become more scalable
- Maintain the highest fiduciary duty when representing and acting in our clients’ interests
- Ensure controls are in place and are being followed
- Being able to understand the coding of the internal platforms and being able to articulate areas of improvement to both the internal infrastructure, PM team, operations and other internal groups is seen as a key skill
- Join a culture that continuously looks to mitigate operational risk
- Sales/Client Service
- Automating data needed by the sales and PM team to identify sales trends
- Being able to compare our ETFs with industry peers in order to develop key positioning ideas for portfolio managers and sales team
- Function as subject matter expert to support sales initiatives to drive asset growth
- Foster a highly integrated and collaborative partnership with the sales team to deliver exceptional client service, through delivery of timely and insightful commentary, support and ETF analysis
- Support products through education and sales
- Participate in client focused road shows, presentations and meetings
- Support the construction of PR and media messaging as the subject matter expert for ETFs as opportunities arise
- Promote BMO ETFs both externally and internally
- Research/Investment Commentary
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of Equity and ETF markets
- Provide investment analysis and commentary to the portfolio management and sales teams
- Provide investment analysis on new product launches
- Assist in the writing of commentaries and regulatory disclosure documentation
- Work with portfolio managers to automate many of the regulatory reporting
- University graduate in Computer Science, Commerce, Business, Engineering, Mathematics or Economics
- CFA Charterholder, CIM, or working towards
- A minimum 1-2 years of investment industry experience.
- Experience in macroeconomic research and a familiarity with writing regular commentaries and strategy reports
- Excellent working knowledge of global financial markets, investment management, products and marketing
- Possess strong quantitative and technology skills
- Programming is seen as a strong advantage (VBA, Python and/or other coding skills)
- Collaboration & team skills – in-depth
- Analytical and problem solving skills – In-depth
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/us/en
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. BMO is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.