As one of the world’s leading asset managers, we are solely dedicated to delivering an investment experience that helps people get more out of life. If you're looking for challenging work, smart colleagues, and a global employer with a social conscience, explore your potential at Invesco
Posting Closing Date:December 29, 2021
The Legal Counsel will be an experienced lawyer with 3 to 8 years’ experience practicing securities law with a top-tier law firm, financial institution, or relevant government agency. The ideal candidate has experience preparing regulatory disclosure documents in both the U.S. and Canada and is well versed in the Securities Act (Ontario), the U.S. Securities Act of 1933 (1933 Act) and the Investment Company Act of 1940 (1940 Act). The ability to collaborate on and lead U.S./Canada cross-border projects is required.
This position will also negotiate and draft applicable investment fund agreements, as well as lead contract negotiations as necessary. This is a challenging but rewarding opportunity that requires teamwork and the ability to manage a host of different legal and other projects across different jurisdictions.
- Preparing Canadian and U.S. disclosure documents and related materials for retail investment funds:
- In Canada, prospectuses, annual information forms, Fund/ETF facts, amendments, etc.
- In the U.S., Fund registration statements on Forms N-1A, N-2 and N-14, including prospectuses and Statements of Additional Information, related exhibits and amendments under the various rules under the 1933 Act and 1940 Act, etc.
- Working collaboratively and effectively with the team of paralegals, product managers, portfolio managers, fund external legal counsel, independent trustees’ counsel, and other stakeholders to ensure accurate and timely disclosure materials. The ideal candidate must be comfortable with overseeing and providing feedback on paralegals’ and others’ work product
- Preparing regulatory disclosure and board-related materials in connection with new product launches, product changes and fund liquidations, including review of materials related to state charter documents
- Preparing Canada/U.S. cross-border materials in connection with Invesco funds’ sub-advised fund mandates
- Preparing shareholder proxy statements (U.S. and Canada) and related solicitation materials.
- Providing legal counsel to internal clients regarding issues arising under applicable securities laws, regulations and proposed legislation
- Negotiating and drafting investment management agreements, subscription agreements and other corporate-related contracts as they arise
- Providing support on legal matters relating to general corporate and securities law issues
- Must possess an LLB/JD with strong academic credentials
- Member of the Law Society of Ontario is required
- Strong familiarity with the investment management and investment funds industry is preferred
- A minimum of three full years of experience practicing at a top-tier law firm, financial institution, or relevant government agency
- Strong grounding in business law, with a strong preference in securities law under rules and regulations promulgated by both the OSC and the SEC, and strong negotiation skills and agreement drafting
- Experience managing, supervising and or mentoring paralegals preferred
- Strong legal analytical skills and attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to work independently, exercising initiative, ownership, and accountability
- Must be a team player with a positive, collaborative attitude
- Ability to meet consistently tight deadlines and perform confidently under pressure in a thriving, fast-paced and dynamic environment and industry
How to Apply:
Req #: 28610
Our people are at the very core of our success and we strive to provide employees with a competitive total rewards package which includes:
- RRSP Contributions
- Health & Wellness Benefits
- Work Flexibility Programs
- Parental Leave Benefits
- Study Support
The above description is intended to reflect the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this role. It is not intended to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of an employee in this job. The candidate hired for the role may be required to perform other duties deemed appropriate by their manager from time to time.
Invesco is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. If selected for an interview, we will work with you to ensure that your interview is accessible and accommodation is provided. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.800.874.6275 to let us know if you require accommodation for an interview due to a disability.